Zoning Department Description
The Zoning department implements the Township's land use policies to protect the character, harmony and stability of residential and business areas.
What is a land use permit?
This is a license to legally start construction of a building project in the Township. Residential and commercial permit forms can be found on the right-hand side of this page.
What projects need land use permits?
This is a partial list. Please contact the Zoning Department if you are unsure if your project requires a permit.
• New residential construction
• New commercial/industrial construction
• Commercial/Industrial tenant buildout
• Building addition
• Pools (above and inground)
• Garage (attached or detached)
• Shed or storage building
• Pole barn
• Sign (ground, wall, temporary)
Fees for permits are as follows:
• Commercial/Industrial/Mass Grading - $150.00
• Residential New Construction/Addition - $75.00
• Signs - $75.00
• Accessory building (sheds, pole barns) - $50.00
• Deck/fence/swimming poll - $50.00
Permit forms can be found to the right
Do you also issue building/mechanical/electrical/plumbing permits.
Building, mechanical, electrical and plumbing permits and inspections are handled by the Livingston County Building Department. Please contact (517) 546-3240 for more information.
What is a land use waiver?
A land use waiver permit is issued by the Township for projects which do not require review by the Township but does require review by the Livingston County Building Department. The forms have no fee and can be found here.
What projects need a land use waiver permit?
• Interior renovations
• Tent Sales/Temporary Events
• Water/Sewer connections
What is the land use permit process?
• Meet with zoning department staff
• Submit land use permit or land use waiver application
• Wait for permit review process (typically 2 business days)
• Receive land use permit
• Proceed to Livingston County Building Department to receive permits for Building, Electrical, Plumbing, etc.
I have an inflatable or temporary pool. Does it require a permit?
In general, any pool or similar device which contains more than 24 inches of water must have a 4 foot barrier surrounding the device and have a land use permit approved through the Township. However, contact the Livingston County Building Department at (517) 546-3240 to see if your model of pool requires a 4 foot barrier and permit. If it does not, then no land use permit is required from the Township.
Can I have a fence? How high?
Fences are permitted in the Township. You may want to check with your neighborhood association to see if they have rules regarding fences.
Fences in the front yard (street side) shall not exceed three (3) feet in height, be in excess of forty-nine (49) percent impervious or be a chain link fence.
Fences in the side or rear yard (water front) cannot exceed four (4) feet in height. Fences are prohibited in the required waterfront yard.
For more regulations on fences, please contact the Zoning Department.